Communicating in a meeting is an essential part of effective communication. Some meetings are not conducted in an efficient manner due to which they fail in accomplishing the sole objective of the meeting. It may be because:
• They do not involve participation of all, or
• They may be too long, or
• They may be unsystematic, or
• They may lack a clear agenda, or
• They may not begin on the planned time, or
• They may end without any conclusion.
As a result, such meetings lead to agitation and sheer wastage of time. In order to ensure effectiveness of a meeting, it must be planned, systematic and rational.
The process of running an effective meeting includes the following steps:
Plan the meeting: Plan the meeting in advance. With the plan clear in mind, the objective of the meeting can be well accomplished. Planning includes-
• Outline the objective of the meeting.
• Decide the attendees/participants of the meeting.